FT-991 Set GPS Manually and Caused no call sign display

A local Ham is trying to set up his FT-991 to display his Call sign and distance when using DN.

Here is the issue...
If he leaves the Manual GPS (Long and Lat) blank then transmits on DN to the local Fusion repeater I see his name and call sign, but no distance on my FT 400D.  He sees my call sign and name but no distance info.

If he enters his GPS coordinates manually, then I no longer see his name and call sign displayed, but he sees my call sign name and the accurate distance on his display.

We have gone through the menu choices on the FT 991 and they are all set to defaults.


Yaesu FT-991(A) Users Group (groups.io)
https://groups.io/g/Yaesu-FT-991




2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/15/2016

    FT-991 Set GPS Manually and Caused no call sign display

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/15/2016

    I believe the issue is prevalent with the 991. It is a one way thing. The other station will not see correct distance to your station or none at all, but you can see the distance to theirs. The 991 does not have an active GPS, although you can connect one and that would allow the 991 to function as it should.
    Dammed if I am going to spend 40 some dollars on a Yaesu cable to hook my FT1XD to the 991 so this function will work. I just tell the other station they are 22.1 mile away, as he is, and that I am not 1000+ mile away. (what he sees)
    The 991 only uses your entered GPS info to calculate distance to the other station. that's how I understand it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, Comments may take a day to show up

Digital Ham Radio / Amateur Radio
DigitalHamRADIO@groups.io
https://groups.io/g/DigitalHamRADIO

Yaesu FT-991(A) Users Group (groups.io)
https://groups.io/g/Yaesu-FT-991

www.FT991a.com
www.FTDX10.com
.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.